Saturday, September 17, 2005

OT

One week from today and that's it. The fiscal year will come to an end and the relentless push for more and more will be done, at least for a couple of months.

The dead period around here is from October to the first of the year. It is a shame really. If we all weren't so spent during that three month period we would not start the new fiscal year already behind the eight ball after the initial quarter. It seems we are always playing catch up after that point. This year will be no different.

Ever-increasing "production" goals, fewer people to carry the load, and even fewer competent individuals all around does not make for a cohesive and positive work-force morale.

As with everyone else, I am not getting any younger. I have maxed out the career ladder, short of entering management, something I have absolutely no desire to do.

While I am paid well for my efforts and have a great deal of flexibility to my schedule, the work is brain-numbingly boring and it has become ever increasingly more difficult to focus on the tasks at hand, as well as find the motivation to complete those tasks.

Do I stay and coast for the next thirty years or do I go and find something else to do while I'm still "young" enough at thirty-eight to be viable in another career?

What to do? What to do?

It's not like the rest of my life is static either.

I do believe life altering decisions were much easier when I was younger and not completely aware of all my responsibilities.

Back to the salt mines...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com