Monday, September 19, 2005

More than meets the eye

There is no doubt I enjoy the written word.

I love to write, as well as read; however, I have a number of other interests I endeavor to pursue with the same zeal and passion that I have embraced blogging.

My mother first introduced me to needle and thread when I was probably six or seven. Back then she made beautiful embroidery with silk thread on fine silk garments. Her work was exquisite, but extremely expensive for a family of four with a stay-at-home mother.

Cross-stitch was just beginning to be popular and she was eager to learn something new. I showed both immediate interest and aptitude and a life long love affair was born.

From cross-stitch I taught myself to needlepoint which led to an interest and appreciation for books on needlepoint, particularly Berlin work.

Over the years, I have amassed quite a collection of needlepoint books, including a few rare ones of real value. My favorite modern book is Berlin Work by Raffaella Serena.

For me, stitching gives me a much needed opportunity to rest my mind, as well as my body. Unless I am in front of a computer, I rarely sit down. When I do sit, I am not one to do so quietly or passively. I do not watch movies or television, even LSU football without something in my hands. Thus, stitching is one of the few ways I work to maintain what little is left of my sanity.

The following is a piece of needlepoint I designed and worked myself on canvas with wool:


Posted by Picasa


Lately, I have been a bit more into cross-stitch than needlepoint, probably because of the heat and working with wool in the summer, even with air conditioning, is not the most comfortable for me.

Here is the piece I started several weeks ago and just finished the other day. It is a design by Mirabilia's Nora Corbett. The expression and coloring of the cherubic imp reminds me quite a bit of my own Wee One. Once matted and properly framed, this piece will grace her room. It is worked on 32-count linen with cotton floss, specialty threads, and glass beads.


Posted by Picasa


This last picture is of a design which hangs above my bed. She's called Sleeping Beauty and is another Mirabilia design. This one is also worked on 32-count linen with floss, speciality threads, and thousands of glass beads.

For a bit of perspective, the design area is 15 x 16 1/4 inches. If the entire area were covered, that would mean a combination of 62,400 stitches and little glass beads. Just guessing, I would say the design covers at least two-thirds of the design area.

These are truly a labor of love. For those fortunate enough to receive one of these gifts from me, rest assured, you are truly special to me.


Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com