Sunday, August 14, 2005

From Memory Lane to Warp Speed

As a four-year-old I do not recall spending a great deal of time with inside activities.

We definitely had television, but as has been said so many, many times before, we only received three network stations, my sister and I embodied the remote control, and cartoons were left primarily for Saturday mornings. Of course, there was that thirty-minute time slot after programming resumed at 5:00 a.m. and the national anthem was played on weekdays for the brief black and white cartoons, as well.

I remember watching Bugs Bunny, Tom & Jerry, and my favorite Wile E. Coyote. I also remember Captain Kangeroo on occasion and singing the Colgate song as he turned the crank on that oversized box of toothpaste.

The only other remarkable television events from my childhood were Sunday's Wild World of Disney on ABC (Wait a minute, wasn't that Wild World of Sports and Wonderful World of Disney?? Hmmm. They do say the memory is the first to go...) and the Peanuts holiday specials.

Not a lot of television in the grand scheme of things.

Most of my time was spent running around outside following behind my mom as she tended to the critters, playing with the dogs, fishing, and doing other old time kid stuff.

It's a Sunday morning around here.

My four-year-old got up this morning and decided there was nothing on the 263 channels cable provides that she was interested in watching. She announced she wanted to do something. I suggested she get dressed and help me water the plants and set up the sprinklers for the grass.

Nothing doing, she said that sounded too much like work.

Instead she asked: "Can I get on your big computer (as opposed to the notebook)?"

While she is able to write her name and recognizes most letters of the alphabet, she can not quite read. Nonetheless, she can surf the net with the best of them due, in large part, to her older sister's assistance in setting up a bookmark folder for her favorite sites: barbie.com, pollypocket.com, nickjr.com, and poundpuppies.com.

I see it for what it is, but there's a part of me that insists: this can't be good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com